Monday, April 26, 2010

Book's I Just Read


I've just finished reading these books. Nobody's Princess was the best and I would highly recommend it. It is a made-up story of Helen of Troy in her younger life. Helen wants to be a sword fighter and calls herself a boy. She, of course, is a princess and is next in line to become Queen Of Sparta. Helen has a twin sister and two older brothers. After learning how to fight Helen's mother teaches her how to hunt. I love this book maybe because it doesn't have a lot of romance in it. :)

WARNING: They talk a lot about their Greek gods. Since I have studied Ancient Greece and Greek myths this year the book helped made a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand, Nobody's Prize was awful! I disliked it. I would never recommend it. Simply because it was so sad. I cried when I read it. She goes on aboard ship, but everyone thinks she's a boy, because she told them she was. Back in those days people believed women on board brought ''bad luck''. She meets a guy and she falls in love with him but he doesn't know. One day they were at a spring near a cliff. Helen had just told him she was a girl and was about to say she was in love with him when he tripped and fell of the cliff! Isn't that so tragic? That is why I cried, I know I'm a big cry baby. I must confess I looked at the end of the book to see if he came back.

I would not recommend the second because of the tragedy, but as for the first one, be my guest!

2 comments:

Ria said...

Then Helen should have fought the people who were abducting her! Just kidding... I don't think women had much of a choice during the times of the ancient Greeks.

Rose, I love your blog! I've been following for two weeks, maybe, and I love it! It's so elegant.

By the way, you're a homeschooler, right? Me, too. Right now, I'm working on a survey for English class, and I need homeschoolers to answer it. Would you answer it, please? Here's the link: http://inriasnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/04/teen-homeschooler-television-survey.html

Thaaanks!

Annie said...

The second book sounds so sad! *Sniff sniff*